Sunday 31 January 2021

Oven Mitts Makeover



Years have passed. I've had two kids. I started my own business (my experience curating this blog helped a lot with that). Seasons have come and gone. We're still in Delft. I've never stopped creating, making and mending. I just didn't make the time to blog the results. But I always wanted to because I never forgot this scrapbook blog. I wonder who is out there reading this now who knew used to read my posts a decade ago...

Mending is now in vogue. Sustainability is more important than ever these days. We're in the middle of a pandemic and I have projects to document. So I'm going to try and do that. 

Today I finished my oven mitts project. We started with a pair of yucky 8 years old (brand new probably last time I wrote a blog post, haha!) oven mitts from Ikea that have seen extensive use. I'd previously mended them and even tried to darn them. But finally the binding was failing and I had to do something drastic or toss them. 

Ok, drastic then!

I started by washing them. Then removed and discarded the old binding. I cut some stash fabric (thick cotton from Ikea) to size, a square for each side. I quilted the three layers together by hand. Finally I created some binding strips from the same Ikea fabric and sewed it on, also by hand. I used super strong Gutermann thread.

They came out so cute and a little bit rustic! I'm really pleased. Now let's use them for another decade! 














0 things you've said:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! I would love to reply. Due to blogspot's slightly strange setup you'll only get to see my reply if you check back here in a day or two, or if you click on 'subscribe by email' under the comment box. Cheers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...