Monday 19 December 2011

One down, one to go (sock making and other projects).

"Where's my twin already?"

I finished making the sock!

This is only the 3rd sock I've ever made so I'm still officially excited about making socks (although I am beginning to understand how this could wear off as I start to cast on the twin, sock number 4).



Things I learnt:
  • Cast on to the needles you need for the required gauge, but knit the rib stitch bit onto a size smaller needle. Then you get a proper tight rib (that's my fave bit).


Things I'm thinking:
  • I haven't got second sock syndrome yet - I've already cast on for the twin. Just in case it should hit me in the future I'm researching how to knit two socks AT THE SAME TIME! Apparently this is made possible using 2 circular needles simultaneously. I know, it's world-changing!
  • UPDATE: 2 socks on 1 circular toe up. I think I prefer this to the 2 circular trick. Thanks to Pinkundine's comment below :)
  • Turning the heel is the bit I enjoy doing the most, even if so far I haven't done it without a consultation with a trusty youtube video
Updates:
  1. One sock finished.
  2. One down, one to go.
  3. One and a half...
  4. Then they were a pair!


I'm also working on other things:



1. The gauge swatch for Marmee's waistcoat. This is swatch number 2. Unfortunately it's still not the right gauge so I don't get to use my funky purple hook on this project, shame. 


2. This is a sneaky peek at something secret. I knitted up a swatch from my stash (leftover from baby blanket). It'll be send it off with a design of my own in answer to a call for submissions for Jane Austen inspired designs from an American online knitting magazine, Knitting Daily *excited!*

What are you working on?


2 comments:

  1. Congrats on your sock :) I still get excited about socks (I've made 5 pairs in total now I think).

    By the way, you can knit 2 at a time on just one circular needle - google silver's sock class ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @pinkundine - Oh! It must be a lot less complicated if you can do it on one circular... Thanks for the tip! I'll check it out x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! I would love to reply. Due to blogspot's slightly strange setup you'll only get to see my reply if you check back here in a day or two, or if you click on 'subscribe by email' under the comment box. Cheers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...